Dr Thomas Perry
Tom is an education researcher, lecturer and former school teacher. His research and teaching focuses on school improvement, educational evaluation and monitoring, and educational leadership. Tom works to support school and system leaders at all levels to improve schools through research- and evidence-informed policy and practice.
Tom’s areas of specialist expertise include educational evaluation and monitoring, quantitative methods and secondary data analysis, and rapid evidence assessment. Topics which he has examined in-depth through his work include school value-added (‘Progress’) measures, teacher evaluation, professional development and learning, and school effects on wider (‘non-cognitive’) outcomes.
Tom’s current work and affiliations include:
- Lecturer in Educational Leadership, University of Birmingham
- Programme Leader, MA School Improvement and Educational Leadership
- Research Associate, Centre for the Use of Research and Evidence in Education (CUREE)
- Editorial board member, Educational Review
- Associate Analyst, UK Government Department for Education (DfE) (Quantitative Research and Secondary Data Analysis specialism)
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Professional Affiliate, Chartered College of Teaching
- Accredited researcher, Office for National Statistics (ONS)