Tom is an education researcher, lecturer and former school teacher. His research and teaching focuses on educational effectiveness and improvement, evaluation and monitoring, evidence-informed policy and practice, and research methods, particularly quantitative methods and secondary data analysis. Tom works to support school and system leaders at all levels to improve schools through research- and evidence-informed policy and practice.
Topics which Tom has examined in-depth through his work include school value-added (‘Progress’) measures, teacher evaluation, professional development and learning programmes, and school effects on wider (‘non-cognitive’) outcomes. His work has been cited by widely and internationally including by UNESCO, the Young Lives International Study, FFT Education Datalab and featured in national news media.
|September 2018 to Present||§ Lecturer and Programme Director, MA School Improvement and Educational Leadership, MEd Educational Leadership||University of Birmingham|
|§ Associate Research Manager – Analysis, research design and advisory work across numerous research, evaluation and CPD projects||CUREE|
to Aug 2018
|§ Teaching Fellow – MA School Improvement and Educational Leadership Programme||University of Birmingham|
to Aug 2018
|§ Research Manager – Working on and managing several research projects including line management||CUREE|
to June 2016
|§ Research Fellow – EEF Research Fellow – IRIS-Connect Pilot Evaluation||University of Birmingham|
to July 2016
|§ Research Associate – Research work on several research projects, primarily data extraction and analysis||Durham
to Nov 2016
|§ Visiting Lecturer – MA School Improvement and Educational Leadership Programme||University of Birmingham|
|Sep 2008 to Aug 2012||§ KS2 classroom teacher – KS2 Classroom teacher including some private tuition teaching maths to pupils age 7 to 18.||Sandwell and Dudley Local Authorities|
Tom’s current affiliations and memberships include:
- Associate Analyst, Department for Education (Quantitative Research and Secondary Data Analysis specialism)
- EEF Evaluation Panel Member, Consortium Team Leader and Peer Reviewer
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Professional Affiliate, Chartered College of Teaching
- Accredited researcher, Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- Board member, University of Birmingham Education Leadership Academy
- Member, British Educational Research Association and Educational Effectiveness and Improvement SIG
- Editorial board member, Educational Review.
|University of Birmingham||2012- 2016||PhD Education
PGCARMS (Advanced Research Methods and Skills)
|Advanced module marks: distinction (2), merit (2)|
|University of Warwick||2007- 2008||PGCE (Secondary Business Education)||Pass with MA credits|
|University of Leicester||2003-2007||MSc Economics||Distinction|
|BSc Economics||1st Class Honours|
Selected Research Projects and Funding Overview
|2018-20||Paul Hamlyn Foundation (PHF) Teacher Development Fund||£114k||CI|
|2017-19||DfE School Strategic Improvement Fund (SSIF) – Evaluation lead working to develop monitoring and evaluation approaches across seven SSIF programmes.||£274.8k||RM|
|2017-18||The National Gallery – City Year Project Evaluation||£6.3k||RM|
|2017-18||Paul Hamlyn Foundation (PHF) Teacher Development Fund Pilot||£157.0k||CI|
|2017-18||IDB Review of International Teacher Evaluation Systems||$40k||RM|
|2017-18||Wellcome Subject-Specific CPD Rapid Evidence Review||£60.1k||CI|
|2017||Review of STEM Learning’s Impact Toolkit||£2.3k||RM|
|2016-18||Education International, Teacher Professional Identities Comparative Review||€35.7k||CI|
|2016-17||Year 4 of British Film Institute Into Film 5-19 Programme Evaluation||£25.2k||CI|
|2016-17||STEM Learning ENTHUSE Partnership Programme (EPP) Evaluation||£16.3k||RM|
|2016-18||DfE Workload Challenge Data Management R&D – Research Consultancy||£5.3k||RM|
|2015-16||EEF Pilot Evaluation of IRIS-Connect||£62k||CI|
|2014-16||Pupil Attitudes to Learning and School Study||£40.5k||PI|
|2012-16||ESRC PhD Studentship with enhanced Advanced Quantitative Methods stipend
Thesis Title: The Validity, Interpretation and Use of School Value-Added Measures
*PI= Principal Investigator, RM=Research Manager, CI = Co-investigator
Higher Education Teaching, University of Birmingham, 2013 – Present
- Programme Leader, MA School Improvement and Educational Leadership (2018-Present)
- Teaching Fellow and Visiting Lecturer, MA School Improvement and Educational Leadership (2013-18)
- MA Social Research: I have had numerous short-term positions on the Social Research Methods module.
- Doctoral Supervision: I am currently co-supervisor of two EdD students and one PhD student.
School Teaching Experience 2007-2012
- 2008 – 2012 – Primary teacher specialising in teaching Key Stage 2
- 2007-2008 – PGCE teaching practice (Secondary Business Education) and Young Enterprise volunteer
Selected Invited Talks and Conference Organisation
- Invited keynote at the NASM Conference – Schools for Equity 28th June 2019
- Invited keynote and chair of InsideGovernment ‘Adapting to Progress and Attainment 8 in Schools’ conference. I led discussions between representatives of Ofsted, NAHT, NFER and executive and senior school leaders.
- I have given numerous talks and delivered training to teachers and leaders on the use of research, data and evidence.
Knowledge Exchange and Academic Citizenship
- I worked with other UoB colleagues in a Partnership with the Chartered College of Teaching to develop and pilot online research training for CCT members. The learning units promoted teacher engagement with UoB research with the potential to implement findings from the research in classroom practice and practitioner research.
- I have reviewed for British Educational Research Journal, Review of Education, the Journal of Professional Capital and Community, Education 3-13, and Harvard Education Press.
- As a PhD student, I helped organise three Doctoral Research Conferences, one as conference committee co-chair. For three years, I was the chairperson for the conference’s main panel debate.